White beans, Romano cheese and whole-grain pasta team up with spinach and tomatoes to make an aromatic vegetarian casserole.How many servings?
From kitchen to table in 45 minutes.
whole grain penne pasta
canned diced tomatoes
canned white beans
non-stick cooking spray
- Heat a large saucepan of water to boiling over high heat.
- Chop onion and celery.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped vegetables and cook until slightly tender (about 7 minutes), stirring occasionally. Chop garlic and add to pan and continue cooking for one additional minute.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add pasta to boiling water in saucepan and cook for 8 minutes allowing water to remain at a boil. (If the pan begins to boil over, turn heat down slightly.)
- While pasta cooks, stir undrained tomatoes into skillet with onions, celery and garlic.
- Drain and rinse canned beans. Add to skillet along with vegetable broth and pepper.
- Chop spinach and stir into skillet. Turn heat to low.
- Grate cheese and separate into half. Add one half to skillet with beans.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Drain and rinse pasta and place in casserole dish. Add contents of skillet and mix well.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake in hot oven until cheese melts and is a golden brown (15 to 20 minutes) and serve.