What's For Dinner?
Make dinner time, family time!
Article – Flat Belly Foods - Eat These Healthy Foods For a Flat, Sexy Tummy!
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter
– Candee Schneider
Learn how monounsaturated fats, or mufas, help to reduce your waistline.
Flat Belly Foods - Eat These Healthy Foods For a Flat, Sexy Tummy!
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter
Is there really such a thing? Is there a wonder food that will melt fat away? I think using the word "melt" might be a tad bit over zealous, but Prevention Magazine and Web M.D. have identified five categories of foods that will help you whittle your waistline.
Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief of Prevention Magazine and Cynthia Sass, the co-authors of the Flat Belly Diet, have coined the term MUFA, an acronym that stands for monounsaturated fatty acids, which the flat belly foods all contain. MUFA's, healthy dietary fats, are vital for bodily function, and protect the body from various diseases.
The five categories include: avocados, nuts and seeds, healthy oils, olives, and dark chocolate. (Definitely my favorite!) Try to include several servings of these food items at every meal to help lose belly fat.
Dark Chocolate = 1/4 cup
Olives =10 large
Healthy Oils = 1 tablespoon
Nuts & Seeds = 2 tablespoons
Avocado = 1/4 cup
Fitness Magazine has identified ten foods that they claim are the key to flat abs. These foods all contain fiber to rid you of belly bloat, antioxidants, and protein, all of which encourage a properly functioning metabolism.
Do you want a smooth, sexy belly? If so, you need to change your diet and add the following foods to your daily diet...
1. Almonds...Yup, you're right, they fall into the MUFA category. Almonds contain protein, fiber, vitamin E, and magnesium.
2. Eggs...Sometimes referred to as the perfect protein, add eggs to your diet, unless you have high cholesterol, if so, check with your doctor first.
3. Soy...Yes, I said soy, to some this might sound like a foreign concept, but soybeans area a fantastic source of fiber and antioxidants. Try something new...head to your local Japanese restaurant and order a plate of edamame, boiled baby soybeans, and you will become hooked immediately. Tofu and soy milk are other delicious options.
4. Apples...Remember the old adage, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"? It seems to be true. Apples are high in fiber and water, both of which make you feel satisfied and full. The majority of an apple's antioxidants come from flavonoids, known to reduce certain cancers, keep the heart healthy, and lower cholesterol levels.
5. Berries...Brimming with fiber and high in antioxidants, berries can be eaten plain, sprinkled on top of whole-grain cereal, or as a topping for your favorite yogurt.
6. Greens...Low calorie, high in fiber, and a good source of calcium-try to add three servings a day. Chinese kale, a wide variety of lettuces, spinach, arugula, and collard greens will add interest and variety to your salads and side dishes.
7. Yogurt...This one surprised me. A research study published by the International Journal of Obesity, claims that people who get their calcium from yogurt lose more weight in their bellies than people who get their calcium from other sources. Consumption of yogurt aids digestion and reduces the incidence of bloating, gas, and constipation.
8. Vegetable Soup: Eating a bowl of vegetable soup is a low-calorie way to fill up and get your veggies in for the day!
9. Salmon ...Add this healthy fish filled with omega-3 fatty acids to your diet regime.
10. Quinoa...Pronounced KEEN-wah, contains five grams of fiber and eleven grams of protein per half cup. I don't know much about this whole grain but I am looking forward to trying it!
Fiber, MUFA's, omega-3 fatty acids, protein, antioxidants-wow, have you noticed yet? Flat Belly foods are healthy foods. Make smart choices, avoid high fat, high sugar, processed foods, add exercise to the mix; and your belly will look flat, sexy, and fabulous!