Low-sodium canned kidney beans make a quick and tasty chili served with pineapple cornbread made without milk or eggs. Healthy!How many servings?
From kitchen to table in 1 hour.
canned kidney beans less sodium
green bell pepper
red pepper flakes
canned diced tomatoes no salt
canned diced jalapenos
ground flax seed
crushed pineapple undrained
- Drain and rinse kidney beans and place in a saucepan. Chop onion, green bell pepper and garlic and add to beans along with red pepper flakes, canned tomatoes, canned jalapenos, cumin and paprika. Stir.
- Heat over medium, covered, until bubbly.
- While chili heats, turn oven on to 350 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place ground flax seed in a mixing bowl and stir in water.
- When chili begins to bubble, uncover, stir and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to simmer, stirring ocassionally.
- Add sugar and oil and shredded zucchini to mixing bowl and stir. Dump cornmeal, flour and baking powder on top. With a fork, gently mix baking powder into flour, add crushed pineapple and continue stirring to completely blend all ingredients.
- Place cornbread into hot oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with Kidney Bean Chili.