Spicy Spanish Rice made from fresh tomatoes which are added in the last stages of cooking to retain their plumpness.How many servings?
From kitchen to table in 1 hour.
lean ground beef
brown rice, uncooked
green bell pepper
red bell pepper
Italian salad dressing
pepper jack cheese
- Over medium heat, brown ground beef in a large skillet with a lid.
- Drain off any excess fat after browning and add uncooked rice and water. Stir in oregano, and pepper. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil.
- While rice is heating, dice onion, green and red bell peppers and add to skillet. Stir in chili powder, cover and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- At the end of 30 minute cooking time, remove lid and increase heat to medium.
- Mix together olive oil and Italian salad dressing. Spread over bread slice. Place under broiler and lightly brown.
- While bread toasts, grate pepper jack cheese. Sprinkle over toasted bread and return to oven, still warm from the broiler but no direct heat on, to melt cheese.
- While cheese melts, dice tomato and stir into rice. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring often.
- When the rice has absorbed all the moisture, serve with cheese bread.